Later Developments up to Present Day
Although the area around St. Peter's still marks the centre of the village, Wootton Wawen has spread out considerably. Today it includes a number of more recent developments along Alcester Road and Mayswood Road, plus the mobile home park at Wootton Hall, which was taken over by the late Bill Allen in 1958. There were also changes for the village's Catholic community, who moved to their new church, Our Lady & St. Benedict's, in 1904, following the closure of the chapel adjoining the Hall. Today, the A3400 is a dominant feature of the village. Its forerunner was the Birmingham to Stratford turnpike Road, which opened in the mid 18th. century. The toll-house on the comer of Alcester Road and Wawensmere Road served the original turnpike road from Alcester to Wootton Wawen.
The Village today
The Birmingham to Stratford-upon Avon Canal opened in 1816, and passed through Wootton Wawen via an aqueduct built by William Whitmore in 1813. For the first time on 1st. July 1908, villagers in Wootton Wawen were able to travel from the village station on the North Warwickshire Railway running between Birmingham and Stratford.
Wootton Wawen has adapted well to change over the centuries and has managed to retain all the essential elements of a thriving rural community. Despite its proximity to all the developed facilities offered by major towns such as Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwick and Leamington, and to the City of Birmingham, Wootton can still boast several excellent shops (including three selling groceries); a Post Office; two Pubs; a Restaurant; two Social Clubs; a Ladies Hairdresser; two Garages; Art, Antiquarian Books and Furniture Restorers; several Craft Workshops and a Costume Hire business! In total, there are nearly 40 businesses operating in Wootton, employing over 300 people - ranging from one-man operations, meeting specialist needs, to major National/International organisations such as the 'British Pregnancy Advisory Service' at Austy Manor. Farming remains a major local industry, despite current difficulties, and the lovely surrounding countryside is still Wootton's dominant feature.
The village lies in the Green Belt and is an integral part of the 'Arden Special Landscape Area'. The older part of the village straddling the A3400 is designated as a 'Conservation Area' because of its open, rural character and many fine, old buildings.